Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The ugly truth...

I've fallen off the wagon, and I've done it in a bad way. Up until this point, I've "cheated" once or twice every week with no issues. In fact, the author of the original book says you can eat up to three "open meals" a week. This past week, I've had an epic fail and a major setback. Ugh.

We went out of town for the holiday weekend to visit family. Here's what that generally means: eat out the first night some place we normally can't go due to big brother's food allergies (we usually take big brother a few days before so he can spend time with his grandparents). Eat the leftovers the next day for lunch. Then, on our 5 hour trip, we grab a breakfast sandwich from the gas station or a drive-thru, eat lunch on the way at a fast-food place (we can't make the trip without stopping at least once - the kids don't care for the car much), and finally get to hubby's parents' house. There, we snack all day long (we are spoiled with goodies when we go), drink wine into the wee hours of the night, and snack some more. The way home is no different; fast food for lunch, then because it takes so long to drive, we usually end up eating MORE fast food for dinner because we don't feel like cooking (and because we try to use up all our perishables before we leave). It is a nightmare. As a side note, I know that some people eat like this all the time - I have no idea how they do it!!!

So, remember that lovely 138lbs that I was holding strong at? Gone. Vanished. POOF. When I weighed this morning after getting home last night, my eyes nearly popped out of my head. 145lbs. No joke. Disgusting. Here's the worst part. (warning: TMI alert!!!) My body is screaming at me. I not only feel awful - I'm tired, sluggish, bloated, swollen, grumpy, etc. - but I am now passing nothing but blood in my stool. Yep. Pooping blood. Lovely. I had a colonoscopy for this same issue before I got pregnant with baby boy...well, actually I was pregnant, but didn't know it yet. Oops. Anyway, they removed some polyps and lesions and told me to come back in a few years. They wanted to do more tests to find the cause of the bleeding, but because I was pregnant, they couldn't. The bleeding stopped for awhile, and when I look back it was when I was eating an allergy-free diet for the first 6 months of baby boy's life (due to big brother's food allergies, I didn't want to take a chance with the baby). Oh, and to be clear - I've had allergy testing with negative results. And the blood doesn't happen if I just eat grain/dairy once or twice a week.

Suffice it to say, I've had a wake up call. This cycle ends now. Remember as a kid when you played a game and messed something up or played the wrong way? What did you shout? DO OVER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment